The Sub-culture Alternatives Freedom Foundation Leeds Yorkshire U.K.
THE CURSE OF THE SATAN MYTH HITS THE INDY
INDEPENDENT APOLOGISES TO IT'S READERS
WE WERE DEAD WRONG ABOUT SATANIC CANNIBALS....
On 21st February 2001 Jeremy Laurance, the Indy's Health Editor became the latest victim of the Satanic Ritual Abuse Myth. Like most of this country's 'scribblers' he displayed the universal lack of discernment which has suckered in so many before him to this epic and apocryphal lie. This is what he told hundreds of thousands of his readers:
(1) British detectives said they were trying to close a website showing pictures of a man eating a dismembered baby.
(2) Scotland Yard is liaising with the FBI in the US to close the website based in California, which has been linked with the ritual abuse of children.
(3) The existence of the websites was revealed by two patients at the Clinic for Dissociative Studies based in London's Harley Street and run by Valerie Sinason, a psychotherapist who specialises in the treatment of adult survivors of child abuse.
(4) Dr Sinason claims that some children are abused in Satanic rituals involving ceremonies and animal or human sacrifice. She submitted a report on her claims, based on the treatment of 51 patients, to the health department last July, which funded her research.
(5) The Metropolitan Police have provided an officer Mr Driscoll to work with Dr Sinason's clinic for half a day a month to investigate claims of abuse made by patients Mr Driscoll, said: "The pictures are awful. It is your worst nightmare unfolding in front of you. I took them to a very senior forensic pathologist - a man I have a lot of faith in - and he looked me in the eye and said: These are the pictures I hoped I would never see.' For me it's a murder scene because I don't know how that child died. That is why I have got massive concern about it and I think something should be done about it."
(6) Dr Sinason said: "I heard accounts of the websites from two different survivors of abuse who didn't know each other. It is a further sign that if you want to do anything bizarre you will get away with it because no one will believe it or speak about it."
But Within A Week The Gaffe Was Up And A Severely Embarrassed Jeremy was Eating His Words
What a pity Laurance did not employ this astute rational discernment BEFORE he penned another load of clap-trap about Satanic Ritual Abuse.
Amazing how contrite these people are when they have egg on their faces. For Jeremy's information it was time to draw the SRAM to a close TEN YEARS AGO before gutter press journalists breathed life into it for the fundies and the therapist industry. Now, when he is looking foolish and he has found out what it is like to be on the receiving end of the myth he calls for it to end. What about the 86 children and families who have had their lives destroyed by it? What did hacks do when they called for it to halt when they were unjustly roped into it by the very same clique of satan hunters? The hacks kept on pumping the lie for all it was worth - that's what they did. The Indy is still doing it today TEN YEARS later. Ten Years of sensationalism and false promises and it only needs an obsessed campaigner with a picture from the internet to regurgitate the very same lies yet again
'SATANIC ABUSE IS NO MYTH'
Trumpeted the Indy headline on April 30th , as dear Sophie acted as the mouthpiece of yet another sample of intolerance from the supposedly liberal Indy.
In a letter to the editor we castigated the Indy for giving succor to troublemakers. We informed her of the true background to the DoH Devil Report, directing her and Goodchild to read the SAFF website.
Did they take any notice? Of course not!
Did they reply? Of course not?
Did they print our letter? Of course not!
They buried our warning and sure enough, within the year The Independent newspaper fell head first into the biggest pile of wombat's doo since its new editor took over.
Here's some more reasons why the Indy is an apology for a newspaper.
(1) The antidote to the Satanic Ritual Abuse Myth is already on the web. There are enough websites run by people like us to portray the true background. Laurance was lazy - he didn't do his research fully enough - even when the subject was the net itself.
(2) Had he surfed the SAFF website he would have been suspicious of the tosh about the perennial DoH funded report, and checked further before printing the black-propaganda he did. Had he been doing his job properly, portraying both sides of the issue, he could have contacted any of those occult groups and organisations who have been falsely accused; they would have told him the truth.
Do you want to read about the key Christian fundamentalist agitator who , in an exclusive scoop, first proclaimed that the DoH had funded Sinason's report in his evangelical newsletter under the heading SATANIC ABUSE - IT'S A REALITY! even before Sinason's study had actually taken place! Then click here.
Do you want to read how this same fundamentalist agitator tried to pass off a piece of performance art as satanic abuse in a Channel 4 Documentary on the Satanic Ritual Abuse Myth? Then Click here:
(Are you listening Jeremy Laurance? )
(3) Why did Laurance and Goodchild not check the Indy's own files? Ironically the SAFF was one of the main suppliers of information to the Indy during the 1990 scare when the newspaper won an award for their balanced coverage of the SRAM. Why did he not speak to the SAFF before writing this piece? Most hacks don't think our opinion matters! Their prejudice can be so blatant and subconscious that many have arrogantly assumed all Occultists are evil, ignorant, unsophisticated dolts and that their opinions do not matter. That is why gullible newspapers like the Indy get no sympathy from us when they reap the end result of their actions. Because we have continually updated the newspapers of this country, including the Independent, with the truth about this issue for over a decade - and virtually all of them , to their ultimate discredit, have adopted the policy of actively ignoring us. Their prejudice appears to be such that they treat us as the enemy right from the off, then, when we turn out to be right - as we always do - most of them resent us even more!
Laurence claims not to be a complete sucker about SRAM because he did research on it in the early 1990s. He says he was lead to believe in this latest hoax because a forensic expert said that it was real. If Laurance HAD been well informed he would have known that the use of opinions from forensic experts who got it all wrong were a feature which helped cause the 1990 outbreak and too readily relying on ONE opinion was the cause of it. Does no-one remember the retired police surgeon who 'uncovered' 8 'definite' cases of Satanic Murder which evaporated into thin air when the police investigated them?
Cannibalism was a KEY feature of the very first Satanic Abuse Myth scare in 1988. You think a hack would remember classic headlines like
SATANIST ATE MY BABY.
And did he not remember that one of Valerie Sinason's key fundamentalist contacts had already tried to pass of a piece of performance art as satanic abuse on Channel 4 TV in 1994? Obviously Jeremy is not as clued up as he likes to think he is.
He is misleading his readers when he suggests that Sinason is 'single-handedly' keeping alive the satanic abuse myth. This does for the SRA Myth what the Warren commission did for the Kennedy Assassination - the misdirection of the 'lone assassin'. Contrary to Jeremy's assertions there are THOUSANDS of fundamentalist satan hunters and therapists out there using this disgusting Myth to breach the human rights of people who have non-christian religions. The Myth is still causing extensive trouble in our judicial system, witness the recent failed satanic ritual abuse case in Plymouth this week which was abandoned half way through because the key evidence to substantiate the allegations had been sourced from Recovered Memories. We remind the Indy that Recovered Memories was a lynch-pin of the first wave of Satanic Ritual Abuse hysteria which resulted in the Orkney and Rochdale cases. Valerie Sinason is herself a believer in Recovered Memory therapy.
TOO RATIONAL BY HALF
Like so many in the media Laurance thinks that he cannot be taken in by prejudiced sectarian information. That is why he attributed, WRONGLY, the outbreak of Satanic Hysteria in Rochdale to a video-nasty. The real cause was the subversive actions of fundamentalist Christians infiltrating the gullible underbelly of social work via the fringe therapy movement. That is such an unpalatable statement to other, ordinary Christians, that the great British Media dare not tell the truth about it. Laurance obviously still doesn't accept that fact, even though that's what the Rochdale inquiry concluded; that's what the Government enquiry concluded and that's what numerous judges have concluded when dismissing these bogus cases.
HALL OF SHAME:
Yes Folks, Laurance, Goodchild and the editor of the Indy are going into our Hall of Shame until this rag picks itself up from the gutter and comes up with something more than a pathetic, I'm - sorry - but - anyone - could - have - been- had - I'm - not - thick - really - let's - forget - about - it - all - shall - we attitude.
After all, if people who knew what they were talking about had not informed him that he had been hoaxed Jeremy would presumably still consider his article valid. It is not Jeremy who has wised up, but people who have been fighting this issue for years who have alerted him to the damage he could have done.
Give Jerry his due though, - there are dozens of hacks out there who have been suckered into reporting the existence of SRA and few have had the honour to admit it in print - they just won't touch the scare again with a bargepole. The point is WHAT IS THE INDEPENDENT NOW GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? Is it going to squirm back into its shell and pretend it never happened, or will it do something to stop it happening again? As it surely will if not stopped.
When journalist Rosie Waterhouse was 'stung' by the Myth she got up off her backside and won an award for blasting it apart. Valerie and many others are still beavering away with their obsessions about baby-eating satanists; relying on publicity from prejudiced journalists to keep the ball rolling. There's always some new-kid-on-the-block who can't see it coming. Life and death matters like this ; which suppress religious and human rights are NOT a joke and, as the Indy now knows from bitter personal experience they will not go away until journalists like them; who have consistently breathed life into the myth, work a bit harder to scotch it.
POSTSCRIPT: You can find the TRUE background about the Sinason Devil Report elsewhere on this site . Also posted here are full details of our campaign to discredit the DoH for paying Satan Hunters to perpetuate the idea of Satanic Ritual Abuse. If the government did not patronise these people these wild goose chases would not happen. We at the SAFF have been doing a lot to subdue the harmful nature of the Satanic Ritual Abuse myth for the benefit of society at large. We, the occultists who are being blamed for these imagined atrocities, have the best track record in this country of responsibly working to halt this intolerance and stop the harm. We are doing it voluntarily and have for 10 years been absolutely right on the button. Those people like Jeremy who make a living out of journalism have , therefore, a double responsibility to get it right - even if only to keep up with the 'amateurs'.
Then please click here to go to our Feedback Forum - You can leave a message anonymously or just read what others have to say.
Click here to return to the SAFF front page